Friday, January 4, 2013

Forest Hills

Forest Hills is a scenic neighborhood adjacent to (and just south of) White Rock Lake. One of my best friends from childhood grew up a block away, and so while I was familiar with the area, I didn't grasp its overall beauty. We'd take walks and drift into the picturesque streets, but a ten year old doesn't have the presence of mind to notice architecture and landscaping, or to note how special it is to have giant trees lining the yards and streets. Here are a few pictures of my recent winter-time stroll through Forest Hills:

These houses are modest for Forest Hills, but more than nice in general. In fact, I prefer them to the McMansions that I spotted a few streets over. 

This was the base of the most gorgeous and gigantic Magnolia tree. 

My pics of this house didn't come out well, but they had a lot of unique, artistic touches on the facade and in their yard. Even the "no pooping" warning to dog owners is artistic and well done.

Since Forest Hills isn't a conservation or historic district, new constructions can have difference appearances. I think this is a tasteful example of modern architecture. 

White Rock Dr. runs into Garland Rd. and White Rock Lake.

Picturesque. I'm sure it's even more attractive in the springtime with leaves on the trees.